The Ministry of Youth, Sports and Special Needs plays a pivotal role in the State.
Its mandate includes but are not limited to:
- Evolve and implement policies and programmes necessary for all-round development of youths at all levels and youth development matters (citizen and leadership training, youth exchange programmes, National Youth Award Schemes, National Youth Service Corps matters, National Youth Day Celebrations and others)) and encourage formation of youth clubs.
- Promote sports and sports related matters like supervision of Osun State Sports Council and other sporting organizations in the state and relating with National Sports Commission.
- Provide institutional care and physical structures for development of youth and people with special needs such as juvenile delinquents, destitute and physically challenged persons.
- Promote recreation in the State through identification and design of open spaces for recreational purposes and facilities through which people can channel their energies.
- Oversee the welfare of the aged as well as partner up with voluntary organisations in various fields.