Category: Health

COVID-19 Lockdown: Osun enforcement team arrests violators, counsels them in Ilesa

COVID-19 Lockdown: Osun enforcement team arrests violators, counsels them in Ilesa

The enforcement team of the Osun COVID-19 Task Force on Thursday arrested some of the violators of the ongoing lockdown order of the state government in Ijesaland.

This was coming as the 7-day lockdown in Ijesaland entered day three.

The violators and other non-adherents to the NCDC’s protocols were apprehended for flouting government’s directives to forestall community transmission of the dreaded Coronavirus.

The state government had last weekend announced the total lockdown in four local government areas of Ijesaland as part of its swift response to combat the pandemic.

The decision to lockdown some parts of the state, according to the government, was arrived at due to increase in the number of confirmed cases of the pandemic in the state.

The state’s medical team managing the pandemic had earlier in its reports revealed that many of the people that had contracted the virus were residents of Ijesaland; hence the need for government to step up its preventive measures.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Security, Mrs. Abiodun Ige, who led the enforcement team, said the decision to arrest some of the violators was to ensure total compliance to government’s order.

She noted that those that were temporarily arrested would serve as a deterrent to others who might be nursing such an act of insolence toward the lockdown.

While counseling the lockdown defaulters at Ereja square, Ige said the government embarked on the lockdown as the best option to forestall the further spread of the virus in the state and the areas in particular.

Some of the violators who were largely residents of Ilesa West and Ilesa East, were apprehended by the law enforcement agents stationed at different locations in the four Councils.

The violators were counselled on the necessary precautionary measures to prevent the spread of the virus and were later released.

Speaking on the level of compliance so far, Ige said it is worthy of note that people have begun to see the need for them to stay safe and stay alive. She appealed to the residents of the affected areas to bear with the development as government cannot afford to expose its citizens to avoidable dangers.

Read More

COVID-19 Update: Osun records 11 new cases, discharges 4

The Government of the State of Osun on Wednesday confirmed the discovery of 11 new cases.

Similarly, it announced the discharge of four patients from its Treatment and Isolation Centre same day.

The Commissioner for Health,  Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, made the disclosure in a statement Wednesday  evening in Osogbo.

He disclosed that all the 11 new cases were contacts of those who had previously contracted  the virus in the State.

Dr. Isamotu appealed to citizens and residents of the State to always observe all the precautionary measures laid down by the State to contain the spread of the virus. He also revealed that with the latest development, the number of confirmed cases in the State has risen to 210 with 115 active cases, adding that the State has successfully treated and discharged 88 patients while seven deaths have so far been recorded.

Read More

COVID-19 Update: Osun records 21 new cases

The Government of the State of Osun on Tuesday confirmed the discovery of 21 new cases.

The State’s Commissioner for Health,  Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, disclosed this in a statement Tuesday  evening in Osogbo.

He disclosed that all the new cases were contacts of those who had previously contracted  the virus in the State.

The Commissioner appealed to citizens and residents of the State to always observe all the precautionary measures laid down by the State against the spread of the virus. He also revealed that with the latest development, the number of confirmed cases in the State has risen to 199 with  108 active cases, adding that the State has successfully treated and discharged 84 patients while seven deaths have so far been recorded.

Read More

COVID-19: Govt commends compliance level as Ijesaland begins one-week lockdown

The ancient town of Ilesa and its environs were on Tuesday deserted as the 7-day lockdown order imposed on the four local government areas of Ijesaland by the state government commenced.

The enforcement team of the lockdown has described the observance of the lockdown as “impressive”.

The state government had last Saturday ordered  a total lockdown of Ilesa West, Ilesa East, Atakumosa East and Atakunmosa West as part of efforts to contain the community transmission of the deadly Coronavirus pandemic within the axis. 

The affected four councils are parts of the six local government areas that make up Ijesa-South and Ijesa-North Federal Constituencies of Osun East Senatorial District.

The State’s enforcement team on COVID-19, on Tuesday morning stormed the affected local government areas to enforce the lockdown measures ordered by the government.

The team, led by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Adebayo Adeleke, said members of the team were on ground to enforce the government’s directives and assess the level of compliance.

The enforcement team in company with officers of Osun Joint Task Force and Osun Joint Security Network comprises the Police, Nigeria Civil Defense Corps, Department of State Services, Nigerian Army and Volunteers of Amotekun Corps, took to the major streets and communities in the affected areas to tighten-up the road blocks and barricades mounted in the major entries and strategic places as part of efforts to prevent vehicular and needless movement of residents.

Speaking on the level of compliance, the leader of the enforcement team, said it was encouraging and impressive. 

“The lockdown is expected to last seven days. This is the first day. This is impressive. We are happy with what we have seen so far, I hope and pray this level of compliance is maintained. But if it is not, like the governor warned, it will be extended,” Adeleke said. 

It will be recalled that the government had in a statement lamented the surge in the number of confirmed Coronavirus cases  in the State in the last one month and said there was need to take measures to arrest the trend. 

Osun has recorded a total of 178 confirmed cases  so far, out of which it had successfully treated and discharged 84 patients. The State currently has a total of 87 active cases and it has recorded seven deaths since the outbreak of the virus. The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, who also spoke during the week, noted that medical analysis revealed that many of the recent cases of COVID-19 recorded in the State were from Ilesa axis and its environs, hence the need for government to impose a total lockdown to curb community transmission of the pandemic.

Read More

COVID-19 Update: Osun discharges 21, records 13 new cases

The Government of the State of Osun on Monday confirmed the discharge of 21 patients from its Treatment and Isolation Centres.

This is just as it confirmed the discovery of 13 new cases in the State. 

The State’s Commissioner for Health,  Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, disclosed these in a statement Monday evening in Osogbo.

He disclosed that all the 13 new cases were mostly contacts of previous cases in the State.

He appealed to citizens and residents of the State to always observe all the precautionary measures laid down by the State against the spread of the virus.

The Health Commissioner also revealed that with the latest development, the number of confirmed cases in the State has risen to 178 with  87 active cases. “With the latest development, the number of active cases as at today, Monday, July 6, is 87. We have 178 confirmed cases, out of which the State has successfully treated and discharged 84 patients while seven deaths have been recorded,” Dr. Isamotu added.

Read More

COVID-19 Update: Osun records 14 new cases, 2 deaths, discharges 4

The Government of the State of Osun on Saturday confirmed the discovery of 14 new cases in the State. 

The State’s Commissioner for Health,  Dr. Rafiu Isamotu, made this known through a press statement in Osogbo on Saturday.

He disclosed that four patients were also discharged from its Treatment and Isolation Centre same day after testing negative for the virus, while two deaths were recorded.

The Commissioner noted that the new cases were discovered following contact tracing of previous cases in the State. 

He appealed to citizens and residents of the State to always observe all the precautionary measures laid down by the State against the spread of the virus.

The Health Commissioner also revealed that with the latest development, the number of confirmed cases in the State has risen to 165 with  95 active cases. “With the latest development, the number of our active cases as at today, Saturday , July 4  is 95. We have 165 confirmed cases, out of which the State has successfully treated and discharged 63 patients while seven deaths have been recorded,” Dr. Isamotu added.

Read More

Covid-19: Oyetola orders lockdown of four local government areas

…. Ilesa East, Ilesa West, Atakumosa East and Atakumosa West affected 

…. Extends relaxation in other areas for another two weeks 

Governor Adegboyega Oyetola of the State of Osun has ordered the total lockdown of four of the local government areas of the state namely : Ilesa East, Ilesa West, Atakumosa East and Atakumosa West for seven days in the first instance.

The decision was the fallout of the meeting between the government and the stakeholders from the area. 

The lockdown is expected to commence on Tuesday,  July 7, and it will be for one week in the first instance. However, if the compliance level is not encouraging, the government will announce further extension. 

The state also said it was closely monitoring other  Local Government areas with rising numbers of those testing positive for COVID-19 and may in the days ahead lock down more areas. 

However ,  the relaxation in other areas of the state has been extended by two weeks.

These were contained in a statement issued by the State’s Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation,  Mrs. Funke Egbemode. 

She further said the decision to impose a total lockdown on the four local government areas was aimed at containing the spread of the virus in that axis of the State, noting that government had every reason to believe that it was already witnessing what looked more like a community transmission in the area and as such there was need to come up with measures to arrest the trend.

The Commissioner stressed that the lockdown would be total. Residents and citizens in that axis will not have opportunity to go to worship centres and markets during the period. They will only be allowed to shop within their neighbourhood. 

Under the lockdown,  there would be no vehicular  movement within the affected areas. Only those on essential duties such as health, fire service, environmental officials, security personnel, power and water supply agencies, media and telecommunication officers will be allowed to move.

Mrs. Egbemode also revealed that intra-state travel to and within the affected communities and to other parts of the State is banned during the period of the lockdown, warning that violators of the lockdown order will be severely dealt with. 

“As you are all aware, the Federal Government, a few days ago lifted the ban on inter-state travel in the country. We have, therefore, lifted ours too. But our relaxation guidelines still subsists except for four local government areas, namely; Ilesa West, Ilesa East, Atakumosa West and Atakumosa East Local Government areas where we have now ordered a one-week  lockdown, effective Tuesday,  July 7.

“For the avoidance of doubt, our curfew will still run from 9.p.m to 5.a.m daily in other parts of the State, except the locked down LGAs.

“In furtherance to the above, for the other parts of the State, the ban on political, public, religious, and any kind of gatherings under whatever guise remain in force, while worship centres must adhere strictly to  government’s guidelines guiding their re-opening.  Government will not hesitate to shut down any of the worship centres that violates our guidelines.

“For the four local government areas, all markets will remain shut, only neighbourhood markets and Pharmacies will be allowed to open. There must be strict adherence to stipulated  physical distancing, the use of face masks, and observance of all other precautionary measures and established protocols of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

“To this end, we urge citizens and residents  of the affected communities to take advantage of the hours between now and Monday  to stock up provisions that will last them one week in the first instance.

“We have mandated and mobilised the state’s task force and security operatives to strictly enforce the  measures.  “The decision to shut down a part of the state, though painful, is the only way to go if it must arrest  further spread of the virus in the state,”  she added.

Read More

Contact Tracing: Osun sends 30 samples for test

The State of Osun  Commissioner for Health, Dr. Rafiu Isamotu  has disclosed that the state was now awaiting the results of 30 samples from the contact tracing it embarked on at the weekend  through Monday. 

The samples  were sent to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC accredited Testing Centre, the African Centre of Excellence in Genomics of Infectious Diseases, Ede, Osun. 

Isamotu, while disclosing these in a statement on Tuesday, said contact tracing was carried out in Ejigbo, Osu, Ife East, Ilesa and Ede areas of the State. 

Giving reason for the contact tracing in those areas, Isamotu explained that the wife of a confirmed case in Ife was said to have travelled to Osu after leaving Ife, before returning to Ilesa. 

He said all 24 contacts of the cases were located by the State COVID-19 Taskforce Committee and their samples taken for evaluation. 

“Apart from the 24 samples, residents also called the team for suspected cases and in the process those samples were collected. So, the total samples collected to which we are awaiting result is 30,” he said. 

According to the Commissioner, 14 suspected cases that were subjected to test on Sunday all returned negative on Monday night. 

Isamotu also revealed that the three State health workers who initially tested positive for Coronavirus, have now tested negative once, adding that they will be subjected to another round of test, in line with NCDC protocol. “Also, our three health workers who initially tested positive, have now tested negative once. But in line with NCDC protocol, they have to test negative twice before they can be affirmed ready to join the society and resume their normal lives. So their samples will be taken again for another test after 48 hours,” the Commissioner added.

Read More

Covid-19: ‘Osun tests 167 suspected cases, 12 returned positive’

The State Government of Osun says it has conducted fresh 167 Coronavirus tests, out of which 12 returned positive. 

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr Rafiu Isamotu who disclosed this in a statement on Saturday, revealed that the 12 new cases were recorded in Osogbo, Ife, Ede, Ikire and Ejigbo. 

Isamotu said the fresh tests were carried out in the last two weeks of the lockdown, adding that the lockdown has proven effective in containing spread of the virus. 

He said this brings the number of active COVID-19 cases in Osun to 13.

The Commissioner urged residents of the State not to panic but should continue to comply with the stay-at-home directive of the State government, keep social distancing and observe all precautionary measures to curb the spread of the disease. He also reiterated that the ban on public gatherings remains in force, just as he urged residents to take the wearing of face mask seriously as it is now compulsory across the state.

Read More

COVID-19: We are determined to contain spread -Oyetola

…. as Ooni donates motorised fumigators

The Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola has said his government would spare no effort in tackling the spread of the Coronavirus in the state.

He said his administration was committed to employing the necessary technology and creativity to prevent community spread of the virus.

This was even as the Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi donated Motorised Modular Fumigators to support the efforts of the state in containing spread of the virus.

The locally fabricated Fumigator, converts liquid disinfectant to fog and it is used to fumigate large areas. It destroys viral elements in the environment and it has no harmful effect on human health.

Speaking during the presentation of the device at Government House, Osogbo, Governor Oyetola, said the administration had been working round the clock to forestall the community transmission of the disease, adding that this is reflected “in the appreciable and professional manner the state has been managing the menace.”

He lauded the Ooni of Ife for coming to the aid of the state at the point of need, saying the support would go a long way in the effort to eliminate permanently the effects of the virus.

The governor who personally received two of the Motorised Modular Fumigators donated to the state by the monarch, promised to replicate the use of the device at the local levels.

“I must thank His Imperial Majesty for this gesture, this is coming at a time when everybody in the whole world is looking for solutions to the pandemic. We have seen this as a creative way of dealing with such a situation as we have been told that the device can also be used after COVID-19 for agriculture and industrial purposes.

“So, I must commend this initiative and express gratitude to our monarch for the gesture. His creativity is something that is worthy of emulation. 

“We want to assure that we will make use of the facilities as demanded and we shall ensure proper maintenance of the technology and replicate it in all our local governments”, he said.

Earlier in his remarks, the Ooni of Ife, Oba Enitan Adeyeye Ogunwusi, lauded the proactive measures of the state government in tackling the pandemic.

He said the decision to come up with the innovation was informed by the devastating nature of the pandemic.

Oba Ogunwusi who announced that that the technology could also be used for agriculture and industrial purposes, said “my joy is to let our dear Governor and the entire world know that indeed necessity is the mother of invention”.

He added that the gesture would be replicated in other states of the federation particularly in the Southwest region.

The monarch who enjoined the citizens to contribute their quota towards the development of the country said, “If we all task ourselves in this country, a lot of things will emerge”.

In his remarks, the Commissioner for Environment and Sanitation Engr. Sola Oladepo, assured of proper maintenance of the device, saying the gesture would help  complement government’s efforts to contain the spread of the virus. On his part,  Special Adviser to the Governor on Environment, Mr. Rufus Oyegbile, noted that the device would be appropriate for large gatherings, including market places.

Read More