Breaking News

Osun begins Interview for shortlisted Teachers across the State | Governor Adeleke Flags off Construction of Roads, Bridge in Obokun Local Government. | ALLEGED STAFF AUDIT FRAUD IS AN APC SPONSORED FAKE NEWS – OSUN GOVT. | Governor Adeleke Reviews Tech Sector Progress, Says His Government Is a Trail blazer. | Governor Adeleke Reduces Public Servants Work Hours for Ramadan and Lent Period. | Osun Government Clarifies Position On Local Government Salaries | Resist Election Riggers; Collect their Money; Vote Against Them – Governor Adeleke Charges Osun Electorates | RAMADAN: LET US RENEW OUR COMMITMENT TO A JUST SOCIETY, GOVERNOR ADELEKE TASKS OSUN PEOPLE | Governor Adeleke Hosts Canadian Delegation, Drums Support for Nigerian – Canadian Subnational Economic Initiatives. | Osun govt uncovers sinister planned protest by APC to cause mayhem over PBAT’s visit tomorrow. | Face Your Ministerial Failure or We Unearth Sordid Performance as a Governor and Minister – Adeleke’s Aide Replies Oyetola’s Media Assistant | Face Your Ministerial Failure or We Unearth Sordid Performance as a Governor and Minister – Adeleke’s Aide Replies Oyetola’s Media Assistant. | Adeleke’s Spokesperson Slams APC, Says Infra Projects are Inclusive and Evenly Spread. | Adeleke: Osun Open for Mining Business with Ease of Doing Business and Security. | GOVERNOR ADELEKE CELEBRATES HON. (DR.) MARUF ADEWALE ADEBAYO GANGARIA ON BIRTHDAY. | GOVERNOR ADELEKE HAILS ORANGUN OF ILA ON HIS BIRTHDAY. | Osun APC is scared of its own shadows -Adeleke Spokesperson | Calls for State of Emergency: Failed Desperate Act of Oyetola and Oyebamiji — Governor Adeleke | Osun holds another stewardship programme tomorrow. | Governor Adeleke to Police: Unseal Amotekun to Contain Banditry, Kidnapping | Mass Killings: Gov. Adeleke Commiserates with Kwara Govt and People, Tightens Security for Ora, Border Areas.
40% cut in Osun’s federal allocation unjustifiable – Aregbesola
Webmaster April 19, 2014

40% Cut In Osun’s Federal Allocation Unjustifiable – Aregbesola

40% cut in Osun’s federal allocation unjustifiable – Aregbesola
Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State has described as unjustifiable, a 40 per cent reduction in the federal allocation being received by the state since July 2013.

Aregbesola spoke in Lagos on Thursday during the launching of a book, ‘Yoruba Elites and Ethnic Politics in Nigeria: Obafemi Awolowo and Corporate Agency,’ written by an associate professor at the University of California-Davies, Wale Adebanwi.
The governor said the reduction had no basis as the nation’s oil revenue did not fall, adding that “If there is anything my state does not have now, it’s money. We are managing with 40 per cent reduction in our allocation from the Federal Government.
“It is not as if I even enjoy saying I depend on the federal allocation, but the truth is that there is no magic that I would have made to suddenly taken our state out of dependence on the federal allocation.
“It is important for us to know that there is no justification for that 40 per cent reduction in our allocation. The price of crude oil has remained almost the same at $108 per barrel, and the benchmark, according to them, is $75 per barrel.”
According to the governor, the state is now being forced to source for funds outside the federal allocation in order to meet its responsibilities of paying the entitlements of civil servants and retired workers.
He said that “So we are not close to the benchmark of $75 and yet since July of last year, there is a 40 per cent reduction in our allocation. What that translates to I will tell you.
“It means I have to get N5.4bn to augment salaries and pension from July to December; N5.4bn extra, outside allocation, to ensure that since civil servants who are still active and those who have retired are paid their entitlements. What I receive from federation account is not sufficient to pay salaries.”
The governor, who represented a former governor of Lagos State and National Leader of the APC at the event, Bola Tinubu, who was the chief presenter of the book, bought copies of the new book at N5m on behalf of the Osun State and another copies for N500,000 for himself and announced N2m for the launching of the book on behalf of Tinubu.
NEWMAIL

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *